Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

10 Things I Keep On Hand

I have some things in my cupboards and in the refrigerator that are almost always on hand.  I keep them around as a "sure thing" for times when I am too...

H..ungry
A..ngry
L..onely or
T..ired

(See previous blog article on HALT here.)

...to be bothered with fixing food or foraging.  These are the "go-tos," the staples, the must-haves.  Here they are in no particular order:

Apples

I love them.  I try to eat them in the morning or afternoon but not at night because of their relatively high sugar content.  At between 75 and 110 calories (depending on size) it's a low cal treat.  They are easy to toss in a bag, bring in the car, keep at work and they are filling enough to stave off a food craving.


String Cheese

Delicious alone or coupled with something else, like an apple.  I need the calcium anyway and depending on the brand they are between 50 and 80 calories. I love the Frigo Light, the Weight Watchers are okay but always seem a little dry to me.  And when money is less of a concern I'll grab the Horizon organics.


Almond Butter

Good, all natural, no additives (organic) almond butter is filling and tasty on celery, with apples (my favorite), on rice cakes, or just on a spoon.  There's an amazing recipe for paleo fudge that uses it.  Trader Joe's almond or peanut butters are my favorite brand, but there's now an organic brand, Artisana, 100% Organic Raw Almond Butter, that comes in individual packets which makes it so easy to toss in a purse or in my hiking backpack.


Granola

I can't live long without my Cascadian Farm Fruit and Nut Granola.  As-is right out of the box, mixed with plain nonfat yogurt, as a cereal with almond milk....the only problem I have with sweet, wonderful, delicious granola is my ability to regulate my portions.  So for right now there's a granola moratorium in my house until the granola learns better self control. (ahem, the moratorium begins after this existing box is gone....)


Spinach

I eat spinach every day. In salads or smoothies or sauteed or in an omelet or as a replacement for lettuce on wraps.  I have .blogged about spinach and all its wonder a couple of weeks ago. No matter what kind of a day I am having, I just feel so much better having spinach.


Coconut Oil

It is a healthy essential oil that holds up well when heated  Trader Joe's Extra Virgin is by far the most flavorful.  Spectrum Organic is much milder and available even at Walmart.  I use it in baking, cooking and even in smoothies. I tossed all other oils except Olive Oil and have never looked back.


Almond Milk

I buy single serve containers that don't need refrigeration (for convenience and for travel) as well as big ones for the fridge.  I get unsweetened plain, or unsweetened vanilla and both are tasty in my morning shakes, on granola, or just to drink.  As a beverage very high in calcium, this is almost a daily drink for me.


Amy's Organic Veggie Loaf Frozen Dinner

Because sometimes, I just don't want to cook, or think, or plan.  Tasty, hot, comfort type food that is good for you.  'Nuff said.


Tuna

I keep tuna pouches on hand always.  I can eat tuna when hiking right out of the package, use it in salads, piled on top of rice cakes, etc.  So high in protein and omega-3's, it's just good for you.

Skinny Pop Popcorn

I get these at Fresh Market or Earth Fare and in big bags or single serve (100 calorie) packs.  I love the flavor, lightly salted with olive oil.  It is low cal, high fiber, healthy snacking.  The portion packs are great takealongs for road trips or at night when portion control could be a problem.  And if I am really "bad" and grab two, it's still just 200 calories!


Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to make you type in the "word verification" but I have been getting a ton of spammers lately. Just type in the word that you see and it should go through.

Thanks!
Carly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...