Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Not Enough Time? Really?

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein." ~H. Jackson Brown

------------------------------------------------
I am guilty.  The words have crossed my lips more than once. "I don't have the time to workout." When the reality is "I don't have the desire to work out."

We spend our time doing what we want to spend our time doing. When working out becomes a priority, we miraculously find the time for it, because we make the time for it.

Unless we own that how we spend our day is a choice, then we will feel powerless to do anything differently. What a great way to abdicate responsibility for our own health and wellness. There's no time, it's not my fault.  I call B.S.

If you are a mom who is on a school committee or two and who carts little Suzie around to 5 activities each week, leaving no time to work out, please realize, you chose to join those committees and you chose to put little Suzie into 5 activities each week.  And you can also choose to restructure your life just a tad in order to make working out work for you.  This may include dropping a committee or dropping one of Suzie's activities.  I believe making your health a priority will benefit the entire family and teaches Suzie not only to prioritize, but also how to take care of herself later in life.


If you are a dad who works 10 hour days with a long commute and lots of chores and "honey do" items every day, you can choose to give up 30, 45 or 60 minutes before bed or first thing in the morning to work out (and let something else slide to the weekend perhaps).


Actually, when you do restructure your week and make time for working out, you'll be amazed at the extra energy you will have to tackle that honey-do list, and the ability to better deal with the rest of your hectic schedule!

I have found that working out in the morning works best for me.  One a really good day, I wake up (that really IS a good day, no?), drink a coffee while checking my email, and facebook, start the blog entry (on days that I write the blog, that is), go workout, come back and drink a green smoothie while finishing up the blog, shower, and get to work. 

And despite getting up 3 hours before I have to leave for work, on the days that I actually do workout first thing, I have so much more energy and focus - I get through the days MUCH easier than on days I sleep in and don't work out.  Go figure. I also sleep much better on nights I have worked out.

My whole point is that if you want to work out - and you really will never regret working out.  (No one says, man, I wish I didn't work out!) - make a routine that works for you.  If working out right after work fits in your schedule, commit to it!  Maybe just after dinner, or just before bed?  Maybe you don't have time to get to a gym (that's okay!)  Pop in a workout DVD or hit a treadmill or just go for a walk in the neighborhood.  Jump rope in the driveway!  Do push-ups on your kitchen floor! You get the idea...you can be flexible and find a time and place to get in some physical activity.

I'm getting off my soapbox now, because I have finished the blog and am going to go workout and practice what I preach. I find that the easiest and best way for me is to hurry up and start my workout before 6 a.m. and before my body figures out what I'm doing.  :-)

Have a great day, and go do something.  Heck, do 3 sets of 20 jumping jacks right now, by your computer in between checking your facebook updates.  See!  There is time!  Do it!

Carly

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 10, 2013

    So very true, every word. Like you, I get up and I am at the gym before my brain/body can object, that way, its done! And even though I don't really enjoy the process, I do like how I feel afterwards, and if it lets me have that wee bit of chocolate............! D

    ReplyDelete

Sorry to make you type in the "word verification" but I have been getting a ton of spammers lately. Just type in the word that you see and it should go through.

Thanks!
Carly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...