Search This Blog

Monday, July 15, 2013

The "A" in ADHD

What might ADHD look like in Carly's world?

For starters, I get bored easily.

I get overwhelmed easily.

I get great, enthusiastic ideas. I think about them, run around talking about them and researching about them, and then never quite get around to implementing them.

I charge full force into a project like rearranging a room, or closets, or cupboards, or something "organizational" and not long into it I am ready to throw everything I own in the dumpster and start fresh, with nice, clean, empty spaces around me.

I have a pretty short attention span, and can get overwhelmed by "too much" of anything and having to think of all the pieces of the puzzle at once.  Growing up my mom always called me "scatterbrained" (she meant it in a loving way -really!)

Reigning in and distilling ideas, projects and activities sometimes takes herculean effort for me.  At times I bounce between small bouts of focusing on my finances, the household chores, laundry (yuckkkkkkk), schedules, etc. and at times after assessing all there is to do, I opt to sit down and do absolutely nothing instead. (Facebook, anyone?)

You might think that would translate to getting bored with working out, too.

Nope.  Not at all.

Routine and simplicity make my life SO much better.  I work out the same days (mostly) and we do variations of the same stuff when weight training.  When walking and jogging I go to the same two greenways (or the treadmill).  I like the structure and the simplicity.

I don't have to think about it, analyze (or over analyze) it.  I don't have to research it.  I don't have to put it together or figure out where it fits. I just get up and do it, and it feels fantastic.

On Monday and Thursday mornings, I do weight training.  All other days I do cardio and when I have extra time or extra motivation, I do extra abs.  Easy peasy, just the way I like it.

I follow up the morning workout with the same shake (or slight variation) every day.  It's easy.  I don't have to think about it.  I can make up parts of it in advance so I just have to add the liquid and shake or blend.

I highly recommend that if you are ADD/ADHD or just new to working out OR just don't have a lot of time to plan OR just don't care to plan elaborate schemes....then let the KISS principle apply:  Keep It Simple Silly.  Find out what works and just keep doing THAT until it doesn't work anymore. Make a simple workout chart and check off the moves as you complete them.

By keeping it simple, it is easier to give it my full and undivided attention to get the most out of it.  And although not officially diagnosed (yet), I think I do have ADHD (and am pretty certain I have had it all my life. More blogs to follow on that topic as I explore it.)

I think the "A" in ADHD also stands for Awesomeness.  It's a burden, but I'm willing to carry it for the greater good.  I have a friend who tells me the "A" in Carly's ADHD stands for Audience, as in, I need one.  Hmmmm.......I will neither confirm nor deny, but if you like my blog, be sure to share it with friends.

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to make you type in the "word verification" but I have been getting a ton of spammers lately. Just type in the word that you see and it should go through.

Thanks!
Carly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...