Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Biggest Loser

I am now officially a member of a team of geeks at work who joined the work-sponsored Biggest Loser competition. We have 7,000+ employees so there will be LOTS of teams. Weigh in was yesterday and their scale was pretty much on par with my home scale. Nothing shocking there.

Next week the event kicks off with a rally and a guest speaker. It will be Antone from the 12th season of The Biggest Loser.

The official "weigh out" will take place April 15th, two weeks after I get back from a cruise. Maybe that will help me stay on track during the cruise, or maybe it will motivate me to work out extra hard while on board.

There are some ups and downs to joining in on something like this. 

The ups:
  • Accountability
  • Talking about fitness regularly out loud with others
  • Something outside of myself to help motivate me
  • Sparks a competitive nerve
  • Camaraderie and socializing with coworkers
  • A sense of belonging.  Awwwww.
The downs:
  • My head is my worst enemy. Last time I joined a weight loss competition my focus shifted from healthy next right choices and feeling good to the numbers on the scale and what size I was going to wear. I ended up gaining, not losing, because my head got flipped around somehow.
That's it. My head is the only down side. It's all a head game and since it's my head, I get to win. So I am choosing to join in but do nothing differently than I already planned to do. I will do those things I blogged about yesterday and make this my daily way of life, regardless of the numbers. If I am making the next right choices, cleanly, (without deceiving myself about my progress) then the numbers will follow.

I am looking forward to participating in this and maybe getting to meet other health-conscious coworkers along the way. I'm not going to obsess about it. (No, really.) I am just going to keep doing those next right choices and enjoy the journey. That's how I manage to enjoy life best.

3 comments:

  1. Great plan!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always learning the best ways to eat to live, and you already know how great you feel when you're moving! This should be win win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound so focused. If nothing else you will meet new people and share ideas. You know your plan works, move more, eat less and make as many healthy choices along the way. In or out of a group it will work, you might as well have fun whilst taking part. Good luck!! I am off to take my own advice!! ;)

    D

    ReplyDelete

Sorry to make you type in the "word verification" but I have been getting a ton of spammers lately. Just type in the word that you see and it should go through.

Thanks!
Carly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...