Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Quitters Never Win

Quitters never win.

Not that long ago I decided to do a half hour on the treadmill to get my physical activity started again. Ten minutes into it I was bored, my legs were a little tired, and there was no one around in the apartment building's fitness center to witness my lameness, so I hopped off the treadmill and went home.

All the pride I was feeling for getting off my butt and making it happen got sucked instead into a whirlpool of self flagellation and scorn. So not only did I not do anything really meaningful for my body, I deflated my own spirit out of sheer laziness and apathy.

In total contrast, last year when I worked out at the gym, I made it a habit of finishing all my reps. A friend and personal coach suggested that when I got to the end, and had given all I had to give, that I attempt to do two more reps. To push myself just that little extra and to reap the extra rewards. 



It was an amazing feeling. I would do 12 curls and my arms would be shaking, but I'd eek out two more. Or lunges. Or squats. Or...whatever.

I can't convey in adequate words the sense of pride and accomplishment that washed over me knowing I really and truly gave it my all. My body benefited as I got stronger faster, and my psyche benefited as I showed myself a true grit I didn't know I had.

My advice to you today (and to myself) is this: If you are going to do a thing, do it to the best of your ability.  Don't quit when you finish your 30 minutes on the treadmill - do 5 more. Don't quit at 12 reps - do two more. Don't quit at 20 burpees - do two more (if you don't know what a burpee is, Google it and thank me later.)

But if you can't go the extra mile, don't be a quitter and not even finish what you started. Don't reinforce by your actions that you can't do something. Instead, prove to yourself you can.

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to make you type in the "word verification" but I have been getting a ton of spammers lately. Just type in the word that you see and it should go through.

Thanks!
Carly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...